Saturday, June 4, 2011

Vegan Sausie Rolls



The first time I made sausage rolls and I made meat free ones! Yea for vegetarian sausage rolls!!

I enjoy good food but I'm not the type to want to spend ages or work on my technical skills in the kitchen, so I try out or create recipes that are simple in ingrediants and preperation.
I looked in my cupboard and made these "sausage" rolls for lunch with a vegan friend during the week. Quick, easy and yum. If you don't eat meat (or even if you do) I think you should give these a try and let me know if you did!

Here is my recipe for Nutolene Vegan Sausage Rolls.

2 sheets of flakey pastry (check its made with vegetable fat and not butter).

1 can of Nutolene
1 grated carrot
1-2 Tablespoon finely diced red capsicum
Half small onion finely diced
1-2 teaspoon chopped parsley and basil (I keep the freeze dry in a jar stuff in the cupboard so 'fresh' herbs are always on hand).
Salt and cracked black pepper.

Set aside pastry sheets.
Mush all the ingrediants together well.
Divide mixture in half and place one half onto a sheet of pastry. Spread onto the pastry sheet so that its about 1-2 inches from the edge, but the length is taken all the way to the ends - think sushi and how its rolled. And then roll it up and cut to sizes you like.

Do this again with the 2nd sheet and the 2nd half of the mixture.

Place on a baking tray a sheet of non stick paper/baking paper and lay out the rolls.
Bake in oven. My expensive but crap gas oven is quite unreliable with temperatures, but I'd say a moderate temp of around 160 −180 should be about right and bake for around 30 −50 mins depending on big you cut the rolls and how finely you diced the onion! (which is the only part that needs to really cook properly other than the pastry).

I made these the day before and reheated half of them and then put out warmed up ones and room temp ones. The verdict was that they taste good cold or hot. We dipped in tomato sauce but I think a homemade relish would be really nice!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks so much for stopping by, these sound LOVELY I must try them they sound pretty easy too which is just my kind of cooking!!! I have never had Nutolene but I am definately willing to try these, the pastry looks divine.

Toru said...

Let me know how they go!
I made them again during the week and my friends and their 2 year olds (just cut them up smaller for the little kids) scoffed them down quick, so I'm very happy with them as an alternative to meat ones.

Glow said...

These look great! Always looking for nice finger foods that cater to everyone :)

Shaheen said...

Really do look good. Just a shame we don't get nutolene here. I'd be curious to know what its like.

Toru said...

Shaheen it looks like cheap cat food when you open the tin! lol.
I'm so surprised you don't get it in the UK.
I'm wondering if I can post some to you? Not sure if tin canned food will pass through the numerous customs etc though - also quite a weighty item to post. Mmmm. I'll try and look into it if I get a chance.